Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My Birth Plan

Labor
-Please perform no routine prepatory tasks (shaving, enema, etc.), unless requested.
-I expect that doctors and hospital staff will discuss all procedures with me before they are performed.
-I prefer to eat and drink throughout labor, as desired.
-Please do not administer an IV or heparin lock unless there is a clear medical indication that such is necessary.
-As long as the baby and I are healthy, I do not want to discuss induction prior to 42 weeks. If medically necessary, I would like to try alternative means of labor augmentation, like walking or breast stimulation, before pitocin or other drugs are used.
-As long as the baby is doing well, I prefer that fetal heart tones be monitored intermittently with an external monitor or doppler, even if the membranes have ruptured.
-I would like a quiet, soothing environment during labor, with dim lights and minimal interruptions.
-I wish to labor freely in the birthing tub or shower.
-I would like to avoid all narcotics and anesthesia.

Delivery
-I wish to deliver in the birthing tub
-I feel very strongly that I would like to avoid a cesarean delivery.
-I prefer not to have an episiotomy.
-I prefer not to have forceps or a vacuum used.
-I would like the freedom to push and deliver in any position I like.

Newborn Care
-Please place the baby on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
-Please allow the umbilical cord to stop pulsating before it is cut.
-I prefer to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta and do not want a routine injection of pitocin.
-If the baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, Rob will accompany the baby at all times.
-I would like to waive the administration of eye antibiotics.
-I would like to waive the administration of routine Vitamin K.
-I would like to waive the administration of the Hepatitis vaccine.

Postpartum
-I would like to have the baby room-in with me at all times.
-I plan to breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.